The new operating system for your Mac is here, and it looks fantastic—OS X Yosemite. At Apple's WWDC presentation, we were shown the new iOS-like aesthetics, as well as other awesome enhancements to the operating system.
As expected, Mac OS X will take a big influence from the look and feel of iOS 7 and 8. No longer will our Mac dock look similar to iOS 6, with bulky icons and an actual dock where your icons rest on. Improvements include:
- Translucent dock and windows—This is made to personalize your experience, as your background will influence windows and docks.
- Flat icons—RIP bulky out-of-date icons; Apple has ushered in flat icons, like iOS, to your Mac.
- Dark Mode—Apple's Craig Federighi describes it a focus on "clarity, but also utility," as dark mode will dim the entire interface for better focus while working.
Not only is OS X making your system look better, but it will also improve usage and functionality with additional features and improvements:
- Today view—Notification Center, add apps for view
- Spotlight—local content, instant search (pulls from all sources)
- iCloud Drive—iOS docs, Mac docs, any files, synced automatically, accessible through iOS devices, works with Windows, too (think Dropbox)
- Mail Drop—through iCloud (encrypted) rather than SMS servers
- HTML5 Premium Video —two hours longer battery life for Netflix 1080p video (no longer needs a plugin)
- Safari—snapshots of web pages, snippets of info (Spotlight) from search, easy tab scrolling, recent recipients feature for sharing, annotate shared items with Markup
- Markup–recognizes arrows, bubbles, etc.
With the release of OS X Yosemite, Apple also introduces Continuity between devices. Apple devices will have the capability to recognize each other and work together.
You will be able to exit a text message from your iPhone and continue on your Mac or iPad. Phone calls can be received or made from your Mac as well.
Of course, this is just skimming the service. We'll have a ton of information when we've got this baby installed.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.